How does NCEA work?
- Each year, students study a number of courses or subjects.
- In each subject, skills and knowledge are assessed against a number of standards. For example, a Mathematics standard could be: Apply numeric reasoning in solving problems.
- MANUKURA uses a range of internal and external assessments to measure how well students meet these standards.
- When a student achieves a standard, they gain a number of credits. Students must achieve a certain number of credits to gain an NCEA certificate.
- There are three levels of NCEA certificate, depending on the difficulty of the standards achieved. In general, students work through levels 1 to 3 in years 11 to 13 at school.
- Students are recognised for high achievement at each level by gaining NCEA with Merit or NCEA with Excellence. High achievement in a course is also recognised. For more information, read about Endorsements.
What is required at Level 3?
There are three levels of NCEA certificate, depending on the difficulty of the standards achieved. At each level, students must achieve a certain number of credits to gain an NCEA certificate. Credits can be gained over more than one year.
- 60 credits at level 3 or above
- + 20 credits from level 2 or above
Note: the University Entrance literacy and numeracy requirements must also be met.
University Entrance Requirements
University Entrance (UE) is the minimum requirement to go to a New Zealand university. To qualify you will need:
- NCEA Level 3
- Three subjects - at Level 3, made up of:
- 14 credits each, in three approved subjects
- Literacy - 10 credits at Level 2 or above, made up of:
- 5 credits in reading
- 5 credits in writing
- Numeracy - 10 credits at Level 1 or above, made up of:
- achievement standards – specified achievement standards available through a range of subjects, or
- unit standards - package of three numeracy unit standards (26623, 26626, 26627- all three required).
Once you have met the requirements for University Entrance it will appear on your Record of Achievement.What subjects do MANUKURA offer at Level 3?
- Mathematics (General)
- Mathematics (with Statistics)
- Physical Education
- Te Reo Maori
- Te Reo Rangatira
- Visual Art
Access through Te Aho o Te Kura Pounamu as a dual enrolled student is offered in:
- Classical Studies
- Legal Studies
- Pathways Education
2017 NCEA external Examination timetable
Note: 2017 Timetable not yet available.
2017 University approved subjects list
NCEA Fee: $76.50 per student covering all subjects for both internal and external assessments. See below information for Financial Assistance. Application for financial assistance (PDF, 46KB) for parents/caregivers